Countdown to Ironman

Monday, July 28, 2008

33 Days and Counting......

Almost a month away. Almost 11 months since I decided to change my life forever.

Training isn't that monotnous lately, and I've gotten to the point where I'm satisfied with my cycling. Swimming- I finally took the "plunge" and hired a coach. I have 3 weeks to work in the pool and that should be enough time to make small tweaks. To be honest, whether I go 1:15 or 1:35 in the water, I don't really care too much. The running side is the only part that is a little concerning. I have somewhat neglected that lately, and I only have time for 1 to 2 more long runs before I start to shut it down to rest.

Today I worked out with my friend Rohan, the guy that climbed Mount Everest earlier this year. We started with a 20 mile ride, which is not long in distance relative to what I'm used to, but we had a serious climb up to Castle Craig in Meriden. It was tough, and I won't face anything like that in Louisville, but because of time constraints (sunlight) climbing is the most bang for my buck. After that, we did a 5-6 mile run, and that felt fine, no worries there. Only worried after the 20 mile mark. I will be doing a 12 mile trail run wednesday or thursday, and a 18-20 mile trail run on Saturday or Sunday. That will probably be the last of my running before Ironman.

In other news, and big news at that, Muff is switching his flight to come home from London to get to Louisville in time for the race start. Insane. I am ecstatic about that. I have pictured the finish line for almost a year, at least a few times a day, but the only thing I've pictured more was seeing my friends out there cheering me on. I had a taste when Ty and Melissa came to Providence, and the feeling is overwhelming, for lack of a better word. I can't describe it. Additionally, I talked to my teammate Dave Couture who just completed Ironman Lake Placid on July 20th in under 13 hours (You rock Dave!) and he said that there's nothing like seeing your friends and family cheering you on at Ironman, and then hearing your name at the finish line, in his words, it changes your life forever. I also received another handwritten card in the mail today with some amazing words of support, telling me how honorable a thing this is. It's amazing to hear, and I cannot say how much I appreciate reading it, but at the same time, and with all these words of support, I just know that my true support is my friends. I wish I could have everyone that means so much to me out on the course with me that day, but I know that's not possible. I just want everyone to know that this Ironman effort would have never been born without losing a friend, and without having the best friends anyone could ask for. We will all be Ironmen that day in Louisville, not just me. I would have never gotten this far without them....

33 more days.

2 comments:

Kit Kat said...

But don't you know? You won't be racing alone, your friends will be there in spirit.

Tony said...

Thanks for visiting Kat. :) Thanks for the words.

About Me

  • Name: Tony Lombardi
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 151
  • Tri Club: Team HEAT - Hartford, CT
  • Key 2008 Races: Ironman Providence 70.3, Ironman Louisville
  • Bike: Fuji Aloha CF2, carbon fiber, Shimano Dura-Ace/Ultegra mix, Cane Creek Velos wheels, Cane Creek Aero bars/brake levers, Michelin Pro 2 Race tires
  • Running Shoes: Asics Gel GT 2120