Countdown to Ironman

Friday, July 11, 2008

Ironman Providence 70.3 is here....

So it's here, my first long course triathlon. I'm writing this in Southington, and I will leave for Providence tomorrow, with the race starting at 6 AM on Sunday morning. I'm a bit nervous, this is the longest triathlon I've attempted and it's an Ironman-branded race, which are the biggest triathlons. There will be close to 2,000 competitors and thousands of spectators. The distances are as follows (exactly one half of what I will attempt in Louisville on August 31st): 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and then a half marathon.
Tomorrow, I plan on leaving at 7 AM. The day is packed with different mandatory and voluntary events for the athletes. Mandatory things: bike check-in, fill all my transition bags, pick up my race packet, and go to the race briefing(s). I will also go to the Ironman Expo and drive the bike course. In terms of the course, the swim is in Narragansett Bay, ocean water obviously, the bike is from Narragansett to Providence, and it's somewhat hilly, but rolling hills. The half marathon is supposed to be borderline-brutal, but I think I can handle it considering I ran a 1:31 at Fairfield and that course was extremely tough. Of course I have no plans of running that fast after swimming 1.2 miles and biking 56, but hopefully I'll have my nutrition spot on and I'll be ready to go.
I'm pretty nervous at this point. I'm about to start packing and I'm sure I'll be thinking about the task at hand. I've been looking forward to this race for a long time now, and this is a true test for Ironman. If you'd like to track my progress on Sunday, you can visit http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/rhodeisland70.3 and click on the Athlete Tracker link. I don't know my bib number until tomorrow, so you'll have to search by name. Time to get it done!

No comments:

About Me

  • Name: Tony Lombardi
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 151
  • Tri Club: Team HEAT - Hartford, CT
  • Key 2008 Races: Ironman Providence 70.3, Ironman Louisville
  • Bike: Fuji Aloha CF2, carbon fiber, Shimano Dura-Ace/Ultegra mix, Cane Creek Velos wheels, Cane Creek Aero bars/brake levers, Michelin Pro 2 Race tires
  • Running Shoes: Asics Gel GT 2120