Countdown to Ironman

Friday, August 8, 2008

Freaking out

So my training is pretty much complete. My fitness is at it's peak and the only thing I can do now is maintain what I have. That means no more long rides, no more long runs, no more putting my body through pain until race day. On that note, I wanted to get a feel for what my teammates that have done Ironman went through during their taper phase and so I sent out an email to them, this is what I received from Gabe (a four time Ironman, who consistently places in the top 5 overall in his races):

"I have made some major IM mistakes, so I have some thoughts that might help. If your goal is to finish, rather than do some particular time, keep that in mind through the race. My best performance, and my most enjoyable IM, was in Wisconsin when I just told myself not to worry about the clock and to try and enjoy the event. I talked to other competitors, made jokes, tried to thank spectators and volunteers. I found this kept me loose. There is a tendency to focus intensely on the road in front of you and to think about heart rate, lactic acid, etc., but I found that by focusing so much on those things in past races that I suffered much more and missed the really entertaining parts of the race. I self-destructed in a Lake Placid race because I was so intense during the whole race that I eventually had a major break down physically and mentally at mile 13 of the marathon, and ended up sitting down and crying on the side of the road. I eventually got up and managed to finish, but I learned a valuable lesson. I viewed Wisconsin as more of a mini-adventure than a race, and kept a great mental attitude all day even in pouring rain, wind, and cold. I also like to pack a little treat in my special needs bags or in the bike-to-run transition bag. My favorite was a ball of Stove Top Stuffing. Great source of sodium and carbs, and tastes great even cold. I have also used Altoid mints--kind of weird but a shot of peppermint is pretty refreshing mid-race. A buddy of mine would put caffeinated gum in his bags, but don't try that unless you have done it before.

From a nutrition standpoint, remember to consume food and liquids in a manner similar to the way that you have trained. This is IM 101, but I have fallen victim to this problem on the run several times. I almost never take in water on long training runs, but I would get into the race and drink every single mile. This led to stomach issues because I just was not used to having that much liquid intake while running. In Wisconsin, I drank every mile, but only a sip or two. This seemed to work out fine and kept me hydrated. Of course, the key to that strategy is to make sure you drink enough on the bike so that you start out well hydrated. Same with food: I only took in food every few miles, and then only took things that I knew would digest well (bananas and fig bars for me). That's another tip: if you use a lot of gels and other sweet things and start to get nauseous during the race, try switching to more natural foods. This worked for me in a Lake Placid race where I literally threw away my fuel belt mid-marathon and started eating grapes and oranges. The soda also works pretty well, but I always wait to go there as a last resort and hopefully when there is not much left in the race.

As a final note on the run (where the race really becomes interesting), I have found myself walking through aid stations even if I felt like I did not need to. This strategy of walking when I wanted to, rather than when I had to, resulted in walking much less often and for shorter distances. (almost everyone walks at some point unless they are a pro, so no shame is involved).

The best advice is to do your own thing, race your own race, and never stop moving forward. We'll be tracking you on the internet. Go get 'em!"

No comments:

About Me

  • Name: Tony Lombardi
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 151
  • Tri Club: Team HEAT - Hartford, CT
  • Key 2008 Races: Ironman Providence 70.3, Ironman Louisville
  • Bike: Fuji Aloha CF2, carbon fiber, Shimano Dura-Ace/Ultegra mix, Cane Creek Velos wheels, Cane Creek Aero bars/brake levers, Michelin Pro 2 Race tires
  • Running Shoes: Asics Gel GT 2120