Countdown to Ironman

Monday, August 25, 2008

Last Post Before Ironman

As the title eludes to, this will be my last post before Ironman. It's Monday evening, and the race is on Sunday. I wanted to post early in the week because of how hectic all the traveling, organizing, and coordinating will be, in addition to the nervousness that has already hit me.

The past year has been incredible. I've seen a side of myself that I'm so proud of, and I believe that it is my true self. Beyond that, I've seen people really come out and support me, especially my best friends. Just the other night, Tyler said to me, "dude, I wish I could be there, but going to Italy real soon, I just don't think I can make it" and I responded "Ty, don't worry about it, you saw me race in Providence" and he says "Yeah, but I just want to be there for you." I know he can't make it down to Louisville, but that's just an example of someone saying something to me that will stay with me forever. I'll never forget him saying that, and he probably thought it was no big deal.

Beyond the realm of my friends, other people, from total strangers to some of my not so close friends have reached out. I mentioned about how random Southington residents have been sending me cards with donations and kind words, but today, a co-worker of mine came down to my desk and hand delivered a card. Stuff like that is not necessary, but it is so appreciated. It's just overwhelming at times.

Apart from all that, as my own person, this attempt at becoming an Ironman has changed me. I cannot put into words what it is, but this effort, and this race has become a microcosm of life in general. It's about knowing that what we have today, we may not have tomorrow. It's about seizing the moment (pardon the cliche) and realizing there's so much more to life. It's about dealing with adversity, whether physical or emotional, bottling it up, and channeling it into something that is indescribably good. It's about sacrifice....giving up on what's past, and enjoying the exact moment that is the present. As I go on I've realized the older I get, the more things I have to leave behind, but as some doors close and some chapters come to an end, we're presented with an opportunity to write a whole new book. This journey has been about so much more than a fast swim, a strong bike and a quick run....it's been about bouncing back. I think I speak for all my friends when I say we've lived priviledged lives and we appreciate it to no end, but we've also seen the lowest of lows, and somehow and some way we've always stuck together. If nothing else, it is so unbelievably obvious that true and loyal friends are forever and if and when we're lucky to experience that, we should hold onto that and never take that for granted. We all know how important it is to do that and how important it is to appreciate today.

Lastly, I just wish everyone could experience what I have experienced during my preparations for this race. It doesn't have to be about 140.6 miles, all it has to be is to pick up something that you always wanted to do and do it. Don't hold back. Truth of the matter is, yes, I probably would have done an Ironman if Jared was still here today. I say that with confidence although it means a lot more to dedicate this effort to him and my friends. But that being said, I remember watching the Ironman on ABC Wide World of Sports as a kid with my father and being amazed, even from that young age. The first time I thought about actually doing it, I think I was a freshman in college, but I never really had the clout to sacrifice so much. Now I do, now as I honor my friends, I chase my own dream and I pray this dream comes true.

To track me on Sunday, go to http://ironman.com/events/ironman/louisville/?show=tracker&rid=164&year=2008 and type in the number 297 in the search box.

Please pray for me on Sunday. Thanks for all the support, once again.

No comments:

About Me

  • Name: Tony Lombardi
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 151
  • Tri Club: Team HEAT - Hartford, CT
  • Key 2008 Races: Ironman Providence 70.3, Ironman Louisville
  • Bike: Fuji Aloha CF2, carbon fiber, Shimano Dura-Ace/Ultegra mix, Cane Creek Velos wheels, Cane Creek Aero bars/brake levers, Michelin Pro 2 Race tires
  • Running Shoes: Asics Gel GT 2120